Friday, November 9, 2007

Portland weather

Man I was just sitting here thinking about my mothers porch. I was the house sitter while she went off to Europe to do some traveling. Bless her heart, I would not be taken aback at all if I heard she was off skydiving. Why not? My Father has his own sense of adventure diving out there in Australia and zipping about the world. But what I was getting at was my mothers porch and the wonderful rain. I would love to come home to her house after a days work or running around town. I would sit outside on her porch. It was dark because that was the time of day I would do this. It would be raining and I could hear the water pat, pat patting on the leaves and an occasional rustle in the dark. All of this water coming down and the sound steady and refreshing. I would sometimes bring my laptop and my phone onto the porch and relax. Thinking about life, my day, my future all of it wrapped nicely into the evening. I would get on the computer and email friends or chat on the phone. I once encouraged a friend of mine to go out in the rain and close her eyes and tilt her face to heaven. I don't know if she did, she asked me if I did, I told the truth. I did. Sweet and cold raindrops on my lips. So refreshing.
We had a dry spell for a while, but there is a lot of rain in Portland. You have to get used to it if you are not, and you will need gortex, sweaters, umbrellas, boots and plenty of socks. I guess I tell you this in case you are coming to visit.
Tonight I was walking through the rain in the dark, weird, I know. But it was again nice to enjoy the solitude and clear my head. It wasn't really cold, but there was an invisible puddle that I submerged my boot in. I thought to myself, I'm taking my max or bus-ride tomorrow and I better be careful where I step. You can't see a puddle in the dark because the wet asphalt reflects everything. Your foot just splashes into a puddle. That was okay with me. I'm not really going anywhere with this. Just letting you know that there are some water hazards out there. For pedestrians as well as vehicles. There is a dip in the curve downtown on market street when you are heading towards the marina. There is consistent flooding there and no sign-age. Often times during heavy rain, there are cars stalled out on that corner. So there is a problem if you are heading around the curve and your car stalls. First of all your stalled in a huge puddle, on a curve, on a corner that sits on a hill. Just be aware of these things.
Have a good evening. I have a restaurant to open tomorrow, and the best advice I could give is this. For your good deed today, over-tip your server. They have one of the toughest jobs in the world. Okay, that's a mild exaggeration, but they do work hard for their livings and smile and serve. I might as well mention something I have posted in my room at the risk of insulting someone. It's pearls of wisdom by David Barry. # 13 0f 14 things that it took him fifty years to learn, and it goes like this."13.A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.(This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)" Sound advice? I think there's a lot of truth in that one, and I just thought I would pass it on. Since I read it, I am able to look at it happen everyday. I love the ones that go into a restaurant on their cell phones and hold their finger up when the host person tries to seat them, or sit and join someone and are on the phone the whole time... Just had to throw that one in there.
I want you to go out and enjoy the weather, when someone says how about this rain? Reply, it's fantastic! I like the rain. Big smile. Until we meet again, have a beautiful evening.

No comments: