Friday, November 23, 2007

on Portland humanity

There are some thoughts and memories over the past couple of weeks that will not leave my head. If I share them with you maybe they will grow. Maybe you will reach out into the spirit and contribute a bit of your own, or your eyes will open a little wider and you will see it is happening every day.
A couple weeks ago I was walking to work at around 6 in the morning. It was dark and cold out like it is right now. I am sitting on my king-size bed typing this on my laptop. I may walk around with my blinders on, but when you see some things, sometimes they are impossible to ignore. I was crossing the street on my way to work, and I saw a bunch of sleeping bags huddled together in a doorway. I thought to myself,"wow, there's a lot of homeless people in that door way." How many could there be? I started to count, I got to three or four, when I got to the next one, and it was a ladies shaved head, tucked into the bag and she was sleeping soundly. I don't know what struck me harder, the realization that there would be a lady tucked away into a doorway? That her head was shaved, and it was so cold outside? That I pass them everyday, and pretend that I don't see them? I mean how could all of this go down for me day after day? So in that moment of humanity, I saw that some one had placed above her head a gift. It was a box of cereal, complete with a bow right above her head. Someone had seen them, had seen the same lady and thought they might need some breakfast when they wake up. Maybe the first thing that goes through her head when she wakes up will be, I'm hungry. Why do I do this to myself, and does anybody care? Do I have to walk around invisible again today? Not this morning my friend, someone made sure of that. To the person who took the time to put a bow on it, and to place it carefully above her head, maybe you gave her more than something to eat, she may have started her day with a smile, and hope.
The second thing that happened occurred this evening. I was going to my local convenience store to pick up a soda. They have a table in the store that has miscellaneous items of clothing, underwear, socks, tee shirts. A man was at the table grabbing a bunch of things and he took them to the till. The lady at the cash register said"oh, hey stocking up huh?"
"Well these are not for me, my wife and I have a couple homeless people that live nearby and I just wanted to get them some socks." Was his reply. Simple as that. And he left with two large bags of socks.
I smiled to myself in both instances. I was to witness these things for a reason, and I felt it only appropriate to pass this on to anyone who would take the time to read it. Keep your eyes open Portland, there's good happening everyday.

No comments: