Friday, November 9, 2007

portland max

We all have an opinion now of the portland max. That is if you read the news, or see any headlines. Here is mine, and mind you it's influence is from my mother. Recently I was in a car accident involving a drunk driver. They crashed into the back of my car. My car now has a donut on it and sustained no visible damage, although internally I'm sure it will never be the same. The point is this. I now take the MAX. I take it to work and take the bus home. I resisted, as of course I love the freedom and privacy of driving. My mom drove home several points that I think have some serious relevance. First of all it's good for the environment. Secondly it's healthier to do some walking and thirdly it's cheaper. Here are some benefits I can see. I don't have to worry about the drive, I get to see, hear and smell new things. I experience a different view and different aspect a new angle of everything. I can nap or listen to my ipod. They said to stop and smell the flowers, I can. I know that there has been some media attention pointed at security of our daily riders. Don't you think that as a city we should be grateful that now there is a public awareness of this problem? I will not stop using public transportation as a result of the publicity, instead I applaud the media for putting a little pressure on our needs as a community to feel secure on our trips. I feel better already, and if the police step up a presence or security steps up a presence will it impact the criminal activity? Absolutely, so says my humble opinion. Another humble opinion I have is that criminals are cowards, preying on people they see as weaker than them. This is unfortunate but a safe assumption, if they are in the public eye now, and being paid attention to, my guess is they will start to behave, ship out or find somewhere else to cause mischief. I have to publicly thank my mother for a couple things. First of all for her infinite wisdom, secondly for passing it on and I hope to be as wonderful as she is some day. Thirdly for helping me realize once again something I may have been missing for quite some time. An appreciation for the environment and how in my own little way I can influence the impact I have on it. Furthermore, I challenge anyone reading this to hang up your car keys for one week and enjoy our excellent public transportation. One week, is that too much to ask for? Give it a shot, my mom would be proud of you.

No comments: