Monday, October 19, 2009

Checking in

So here I am after no blog entry for god knows how long. I have been busy getting things together to embark on my new journey, the return to school. I have found I have an entirely different attitude towards it. I drink it like cold water on a thirsty day. I can get caught up in my studies until early in the morning sometimes. I look up at the clock and realize I will be getting less than the required eight hours of sleep tonight. But that's okay, I know I will nap in my car, my assignments will be tucked neatly into my notebook and copied to my thumb drive. I will be ready for the day.
Right off hand I think that my return to school came in three parts. Both of my parents have a focus on education. Between the two of them they had achieved three Bachelors. I am working on my Associates in Arts and plan on continuing on for my Bachelors. It will take time and I am ready, I know it will be a piece completed in my life when I have accomplished it. So with my parents planting the seeds I did go to two different colleges and failed miserably. I went on to what I knew which was restaurant. I met a man named Dr. Crawshaw who found out I was interested in writing. He gave me writing assignments. I ate them up and listened to his feedback. I appreciate him for that today. I knew I wanted to go back to school in the deep recesses of my mind. I was laid off from my job at an amazing restaurant. It was the top of the ladder in Portland Oregon as far as I was concerned. My father recommended I return to school. Bless him for the suggestion. My girlfriend Joy has supported and encouraged the notion since it came to light. All three of them are amazing and I owe a debt of gratitude to each of them.
I am taking my second writing class and I am enjoying it as much as I can. We are learning a lot about tools and composition. Works cited, etc. I have not written freely for months now, although I constantly think about it. I read a lot, between school assignments and my novels. I am amazed at some authors writing powers. Ken Follet comes to mind, I am working my way through all of his novels as I have completed all of Gresham's novels. Stuart Anderson provides me with very light reading, although they are reading like comic books lately.
We have completed painting our third room and our bedroom bathroom in the house. I am contending with Joy it makes our house feel more like a home. There is no argument there. It now has a personal touch.
That's all I have for now. This is reading like a letter! So good day to you and your own. May it be full of smiles and keep your faces pointed to the sun. Do a good deed today.

No comments: