Thursday, November 22, 2007

Mogami on Glisan

Good morning. What a day it has been already. I can tell you this, I can't sleep. I know in a couple hours kitchens all the way across Portland Metro will be sending smells of home cooking throughout the neighborhoods, people hailing each other and welcoming them into their homes, laughter and reunions. I love family.
Last night my father and I got together to spend some time. It was nice. We went for a walk, he asked me where I wanted to have dinner. It was easy. Let me tell you why. First and foremost, I am a bachelor. I am always on the look out for food. I found a nice little place off of Glisan. I had walked past the sandwich board several times before and kept making a mental note to at least go and check out the menu. Well one evening the time was just right, I was in the general vicinity and I thought to myself why not? ( It's called "Mogami", and the address is 511 NE 76th Ave. Portland, Or. 97213. Their phone number is 503-256-9721.) I went in and checked out their small clean establishment, and their menu. I ordered the Chicken Yakisoba from the young man at the counter. He took the order and disappeared in the back. He came back out and followed shortly by a woman. She got busy at the grill. I sat down and picked up my ipod and started to watch a movie. To my amusement another man came out of the back and started in on the grill. I was the only one in the business. This was all for me. I was loving the special feel I got out of it, they were working in unison to produce my togo order fresh and hot. I left and made my way home eager to open the contents of my togo order. When I did, I was not disappointed at all. In fact I was pleasantly surprised. Inside was a generous portion of fresh grilled chicken, crunchy fresh broccoli and Yakisoba noodles. I took a bite of the still steaming dish and silently declared this is the best $6.50 I have spent in a long, long time.
It's very casual,clean and small inside. There are three tables if I recall correctly, and it is designed basically for take out. "Mogami" came to mind when dad asked me where we should go, he's very much into health food.
They are always gracious and considerate inside, in fact the cook had one of the employees come to our little table and apologize, explaining that the food was not cooked to her satisfaction. She then followed suit and explained it did not taste the way that she wanted it to, and that she was very sorry. I was stunned. That's attention to detail. That's something that shows pride in their work, their product and their guests. I'm sold on it. I will go back. I will tell my friends if they are in the neighborhood to stop by, give it a shot.

No comments: