Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Battleground, Washington

As far as I could tell when I went out on the porch this afternoon, it was close to 100 degrees. This summer in Washington has been unseasonably warm or it's like this every summer in Battleground. I am not complaining. I only wish I was in the park up the road called Lewisville. I wrote a bit about it in a blog post prior to this. But the day is perfect. The sky is blue, there is a warm breeze in the air that's almost an intermittent gust. I knew as I sat out in the shade a couple of miles from me there was a lawn full of people and bbq grills filling the air with temptation. There are tall trees providing shade and a lawn to put down your blanket to dry of from the chilly creek that runs through it.
I love diving under the water and coming out after I have cooled off and letting the sun dry me off. I let it get me nice and warm and then I am back in again. In between I pick up a book or a snack and enjoy my surroundings. Maybe take a cold drink from the cooler and enjoy a snack and good company.
Battleground has a safe small town feel to it. It's very friendly, there are nods and cars stop in parking lots for pedestrians. If you are like me and you are staying with a friend, you will notice that when you go somewhere, the person you are with often times knows someone and stops to say hello. It feels like I am in a film during the opening credits. I know that Portland is my home, but one can get attached to this little oasis off of the freeway and you will find that Portland is a very short 35 minute drive away. The housing prices are oh so low, and as of right now there seems to be a lot of them on the market. If I had the money I would buy here and rent out maybe or stay on for a couple years. The secret may last or it may not. There are country roads that go on and on.
I am fortunate to have stayed here and I do not know how long this will last, but I will know where to go to get away from it all. Another spot I was not aware existed.
The Northwest impresses me once again.

No comments: